Author Topic: UK Dedicateds, anyone?  (Read 12558 times)

Offline Douglas

• Solar VTG Staff
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
UK Dedicateds, anyone?
« on: May 14, 2008, 02:27:03 PM »
So... we're thinking about offering UK Dedicateds servers (Windows and Linux both).  We'd probably offer them on two different tiers.

UPDATE:  No longer thinking and now DOING!  :D

UNMANAGED:  These servers are just that... very basic management (OS patches, reboots, etc).
Benefits:  You get direct root/administrative access to the server, does not run inside of a container (see below).
Drawbacks:  OS reinstalls are $75 per reinstall, cannot migrate IPs/VE's easily (accounts have to be manually transferred).

SEMI-MANAGED:  We install the OS and Virtuozzo and will answer questions regarding most things involved with control panels
Drawbacks:  No direct root/administrative access to the server, though you do get root/administrative level access to the VPS Container.
Benefits:  IPs can be moved from our UK VPS side to one of these.  OS reloads can be done via your HSPc interface, account migrations are a breeze and can be done by our team.  Additional drive can be added in quickly for backups.

We're still researching pricing on these, so please don't ask about that just yet.

ALL servers come with 5 usable IPs and 2000 gigs of bandwidth on 100 Mbit Switch Port connections.

Here's the four configurations we would be offering:
Meteor UKDS - Intel E4500 Core2Duo 2.2Ghz
1GB RAM
160GB HDD
100M Port

Comet UKDS - Intel x3065 Dual Core 2.33Ghz
2GB RAM
160GB HDD
100M port

Nebula UKDS - Intel x3085 Dual Core 3.0Ghz
2GB RAM
250GB HDD
100M port

Galaxy UKDS - Intel x3230 (or x3350) Quad Core 2.66Ghz 8MB Cache
4GB RAM
250GB HDD
100M port

Okay, we are able to offer these in the UK and have UK prices available.  Please note that control panels will be extra and will require that you go in on the Semi-Managed plans, as well.  Control panels are Plesk, cPanel and DirectAdmin.

For pricing information (until we get these launched on our website), please email sales@solarvps.com with which config you want.  

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:45:51 PM by Douglas »
Douglas Hazard (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)
Blog:  http://dlhazard.com | No longer working in the Hosting industry!

Please contact sales@solarvps.com (and not me) for all your VPS/DDS needs.  :)

Earthling

UK Dedicateds, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 03:50:39 PM »
Doug,

A lot depends on price and bandwidth allocation but, in principle (knowing what I sell regularly now) I could potentially move some of the unmanaged Dual Core 2.33's with Windows 2003 Standard or Debian.

The managed ones are interesting too - Basically they're big (whole server) VPSs with less crunch (CPU/memory) than the nodes you use now, with root access within the VPS (not the server) and looked after by 'Team Solar' if I read it right?

Offline Douglas

• Solar VTG Staff
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
UK Dedicateds, anyone?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 04:15:32 PM »
We'll work with you directly on pricing, Henrietta, don't worry about that.

To answer your second question, yes, that is exactly how it would be done.  :D

Earthling

UK Dedicateds, anyone?
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 04:41:26 PM »
Cool :)

I would need to be able to offer Debian, CentOS (5) and Win 2003 server on the unmanaged servers (Not all at once LOL)

Just a thought - On the managed pseudo-VPS servers, I'm guessing you would have to charge server licensing prices rather than VPS prices for stuff like cPanel, because of the specs?

All the best,
Pepé

Offline Douglas

• Solar VTG Staff
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
UK Dedicateds, anyone?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 04:52:32 PM »
Annabelle (hah!), we would accomodate what you need... those three are not a problem.

As far as pricing for add ons, I think we have a different way of handling that stuff.  :D

Offline Douglas

• Solar VTG Staff
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
UK Dedicateds, anyone?
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 04:00:59 PM »
Thread updated and these are CONFIRMED!

chrisw

UK Dedicateds, anyone?
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:41:29 PM »
I think the sour bite of this is not having root access and forcing a semi-managed plan if one wants to have control panel. Can you comment on the strictness simply because of the control panel?

Offline Douglas

• Solar VTG Staff
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
UK Dedicateds, anyone?
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 11:50:03 PM »
Greetings, Chris!  I do apologize for the confusion regarding the wording I used.  I edited my post above to indicate that you would get root access to the VPS itself.  Basically, what we do is put the entire server in a container, and you get root/admin level access to that.  In order for us to apply kernel updates or critical OS updates, we need an easy way to do that, and by keeping everything streamlined and consistent across the board, via Containers, we can do a simple application patch via our control system and apply it across the board as needed.

I am very sorry that this wasn't explained ahead of time clearly.

The other nice thing about doing something in a semi-managed state is that if a customer needs to upgrade from a lower level VPS to one of the UKDS packages, we can easily migrate the data right over with a matter of a few clicks and just deal with IP changes after the fact.  This allows our customers to upgrade to a very beefy VPS, should they need the resources of it.

Since it's one container per actual physical server, you get 100% of the CPU, RAM, HD space and switch ports.

chrisw

UK Dedicateds, anyone?
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 09:37:43 AM »
Douglas,

I guess that makes sense ;)

Earthling

UK Dedicateds, anyone?
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 12:57:03 PM »
Doug,

I'd also need prices for hardware upgrades - The Meteor above is exactly right for one of my regulars, but he needs 2 gigs of RAM to be able to run his apps (and it must be Debian Etch). I've already quoted him a price for these, so be gentle with me! LOL

All the best,
Petunia

Earthling

UK Dedicateds, anyone?
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 01:06:38 PM »
Quote from: Douglas;1199

Since it's one container per actual physical server, you get 100% of the CPU, RAM, HD space and switch ports.

Now don't laugh, but I was trying to explain these to a guy yesterday. I ended up calling them "EGG servers" .... You get all the goodness inside, but don't have to worry about cracking the shell, or, simply put, it's a hybrid VPS with a ton of Extra Gigs and Grunt :D

All the best,
Florence

Edison6

Re: UK Dedicateds, anyone?
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 02:26:12 AM »
I am interesting in the UK Dedicateds servers, hope you will do better!