Author Topic: The difference between a Citrix XenServer DDS and a Virtuozzo VPS  (Read 9952 times)

Offline Douglas

• Solar VTG Staff
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
I've been asked a few times to explain the differences between a DDS and a VZ, so here you go!

The difference between Windows Virtuozzo and Dynamic Dedicated Server is the difference in both the virtualization technology, which leads to a clear difference in separation between the individual virtual machines on the node and how each platform is licensed with regards to Windows.

Windows Virtuozzo uses what is called a software based virtualization technology. From a purely technical perspective, software based virtualization technologies replace expensive hardware based communication techniques with software based commands. When a virtual environment addresses the hardware (network adapter, CPU, etc) it uses a software based system to address these calls and execute commands. This can and usually does lead to a faster communications process between the virtual environment and the hardware node itself. The Virtuozzo software application layer does a great job with addressing hardware and it runs very quickly and scales well, however, it has certain disadvantages that hold it back.

One of the disadvantages of Virtuozzo is that to make it cost-effective from a provider standpoint, you must create more virtual environments per node than a hardware based solution. Also, software technologies like Virtuozzo tend to be less stable and more prone to errors as the process of addressing the hardware through an application layer like Virtuozzo can create a highly volatile situation. Virtuozzo, given that its software, also falls short in the virtual machine separation department. Too often, a single Virtual Machine on a Virtuozzo node can become detrimental to other virtual machines on the same node. Since the architecture is based around software, managing resources can become very tricky with Virtuozzo, as you have seen.

With hardware based technologies, the providers ability to scale is greatly limited. Citrix XenServer has excellent virtual machine separation, due to it being hardware based and this means more of a true dedicated server like experience for the user. What is clearly advantageous about going with a DDS solution over a dedicated server is the fact that you have many of the benefits of a VPS node (RAID, high capacity CPUs, management) and a much lower cost, compared to that of an equivalent dedicated server.

The nice thing is moving to a DDS would give you a fresh start and allow you the clear benefits you are looking for which are:

1) RAID redundancy
2) Excellent CPU and RAM separation
3) Managed Environment (we do not offer DDS products without management)
4) Stable environment
5) Low customer density environment (4-12 customers per Hostnode)
6) Dedicated server like experience
7) The ability to utilize Windows Updates
8) The ability to run VPN related services on Windows.
9) The ability to set your timezone (unavailable on Windows Virtuozzo systems)
10) The ability to have up to 8 gigs of RAM on our DDS systems.  (Virtuozzo is limited to 2 gigs)
11) The ability to cluster several DDS systems together (Load Balancing and clustering, both on Linux or Windows) to power a high profile site.  We're doing this right now (Windows cluster in Los Angeles, Linux cluster in New Jersey).  Contact Sales to get links to the sites running on these phenomenal systems!

Everything else about Windows Virtuozzo and Citrix XenServer is the same with regards to the user experience. The only thing Citrix XenServer lacks is the Virtuozzo Power Panel interface that allows you to see resource usage, make backups, reboot your server. Citrix XenServer will act just like a dedicated server and will allow you the identical functionality.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:33:48 PM by Douglas »
Douglas Hazard (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)
Blog:  http://dlhazard.com | No longer working in the Hosting industry!

Please contact sales@solarvps.com (and not me) for all your VPS/DDS needs.  :)

Offline Douglas

• Solar VTG Staff
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: The difference between a Windows DDS and a Windows VZ
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 01:08:04 PM »
Let's get a list of Operating Systems and Control Panels that are able to be provisioned for our DDS systems, along with some caveats:

Windows 2003 (Standard and Enterprise)
Windows 2008 (Standard and Enterprise, MINIMUM of 1 gig of RAM required)
CentOS 5.x
Debian Lenny (5.x)

Control Panels:
cPanel/WHM:  $10.00/mo additional
-- Fantastico:  $1.50/month
-- RVSkins:  $1.50/month
-- Fantastico & RVSkins bundle:  $2.50/month

DirectAdmin:  $10.00/month
-- Installatron:  $5/month

Plesk 30 Domains:  $15/month
Plesk 100 Domains:  $20/month
Plesk Unlimited Domains:  $30/month
-- Plesk Power Pack Pro:  $10/month

NOTE:  If you're running Plesk on Windows 2008, it is very strongly recommended that you have a DDS with 2 gigs of RAM.  You could potentially face RAM limitations with only 5-6 domains when running Plesk on Windows 2008 with 1 gig of RAM.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:17:15 PM by Douglas »

Offline Douglas

• Solar VTG Staff
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: The difference between a Citrix XenServer DDS and a Virtuozzo VPS
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 10:56:20 AM »
I've had a couple people ask me about how we allocate CPU usage/Core utilization.

I've explained that via THIS THREAD.  I did want to also post how we will be handling core allocations on our DDS systems going forward:

We have discussed this internally and agree that we do need to give customers the ability to have more cores on their system, either with larger plans or a La Carte. We have done research, and noticed that several of our competitors are charging between $70 - $90/mo for additional cores to be added to their Hybrid servers. Here's the structure we've come up with, from a base plan configuration. If you want to add an additional core, this would be an additional $60.00/month or $540.00/year.

Windows DDS Systems:
Meteor: 1 Core
Asteroid: 1 Core
Comet: 1 Cores
Nebula: 2 Cores

Linux DDS Systems:
Moon: 1 Core
Planet: 1 Core
Galaxy: 1 Cores
Universe: 2 Cores

I also need to note that we can only add these cores onto our DDS systems that are running Citrix XenServer, starting with SoDDS9 and higher, or SoDDSLA1.  If you're on SoDDS5 through SoDDS8 or any DDS node that starts with MSVS or WinDDS, we cannot increase the cores.  All new orders have been provisioned on SoDDS9 through 14 and SoDDSLA1.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:45:37 AM by Douglas »

Offline Douglas

• Solar VTG Staff
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: The difference between a Citrix XenServer DDS and a Virtuozzo VPS
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 10:45:14 AM »
Bumping this, so it stays closer to the top.  :)